Travel to and around Grand Bahama Island
Whether you’re arriving by air or by sea, getting to – and around – Grand Bahama Island is easy.
Sailing to the Bahamas
Sunrise Resort and Marina, just 58 nautical miles from South Florida, is one of only four official ports of entry on Grand Bahama Island.
Port of entry fees (valid for two entries during a 90-day period):
- Vessels up to 35 feet: $150
- Vessels over 35 feet: $300
Cruising to the Bahamas
Due to our close location to South Florida, two ferry services are available to Grand Bahama Island. Both are a convenient way to travel to Grand Bahama and stay a few nights at Sunrise for an easy escape.
- Balaeria Bahamas Express – Service from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, every day except Wednesday. Departs at 8 a.m. arriving in Freeport at 11 a.m. Departs Freeport at 7 p.m. arriving to Fort Lauderdale at 10 a.m.
- Celebration Cruise Line – Service from Palm Beach, Florida
Flying to Grand Bahama
- American Eagle – Service out of Miami, Florida
- Bahamasair – Service out of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, Richmond, Virginia, Louisville, Kentucky, Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina, Baltimore, Maryland, and throughout The Bahamas
- Continental Airlines – Service out of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
- Delta Airlines – Service out of Atlanta, Georgia
- Silver Airways – Service from West Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
- US Airways – Service out of Charlotte, North Carolina
- WestJet – Service from Toronto, Canada
Driving around Grand Bahama
We recommend you rent a car during your stay on Grand Bahama so you can explore our island on your own. Driving on Grand Bahama is very easy — our roads are very straight and there is minimal traffic. (Just remember we drive on the left!)
Sunrise Resort and Marina has a car rental partnership with Avis at Freeport Airport.
You can rent a car directly at the airport when you land on Grand Bahama. Or, we can arrange to have the agency pick you up at our marina resort for a hassle-free car rental.
If you prefer not to drive, we have a partnership with a local taxi driver and tour guide who can assist you in exploring Grand Bahama Island.